What is Sport Premium?
The government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding, provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, is allocated to each primary school across the country and is ring-fenced for the provision of PE and sport in schools.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. This means that you should use the Primary PE and Sport Premium to:
* develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
* build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
What can the funding be spent on?
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this. Possible uses for the funding might include:
* hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
* supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
* paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
* providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
* running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
* buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
* providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
* pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
From September 2013, schools will be held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding. Ofsted will strengthen the coverage of PE and sport within the 'Inspectors’ handbook' and supporting guidance so that both schools and inspectors know how sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the school’s overall provision.
Schools are required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website.
Click on the links below to view the pupil and sports premium reports.
JPA Sports Premium Report 2019-20 - Current.pdf - click to view JPA Sports Premium Report 2018-19 - Impact (1).pdf - click to view